Communications Intern - Fall 2017
This internship provides real world experience creating content for various communications channels directly contributing to the magic of Make-A-Wish. The Communications Intern assists the Marketing Services team with many writing projects including writing biographical sketches of wish children, newsletter stories, web content and news releases. The position also involves interviewing wish families, contacting media, monitoring coverage and occasional social media projects.
Daily assignments include:
- Reaching out to wish families to develop stories
- Drafting web content and media materials
- Distributing media materials
- Managing media clips
- Archiving chapter photos
- Updating the public website
- Other duties as needed
Time Commitment: Interns are asked to make a cycle commitment for two days a week from August 28th through December 15th.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Solid organizational abilities
- Desire to contribute to the mission of Make-A-Wish.
- Coursework in Public Relations, Journalism, or Marketing
- Social Networking experience
Note: Applicants must also submit two brief writing samples with your cover letter.
- Must be able to commute to our downtown Chicago office (we are located in the River North neighborhood)
- Minimum age for all internships is 18
- Selected candidates will be asked to participate in a criminal background check.
- Cover letter required
***Preferred candidates will be contacted to schedule interviews in May. All internships are unpaid.***
An internship at Make-A-Wish Illinois provides a unique opportunity to see how a renowned nonprofit organization runs from the inside. In addition to the learning opportunities outlined in the job description, all interns also:
- Sit down with the senior leaders of our organization
- Have the opportunity to participate in our amazing culture
- Network with our exceptional teammates
- Create lifelong memories
We want to invite YOU to be a part of the magic that we experience every day at Make-A-Wish and learn why we are consistently ranked as one of The Nonprofit Times' "Top Nonprofits to Work For!"